In 1929, Milwaukee Air Terminals built an airport on the northwest corner of what is now Hampton Ave. and 92nd St. The airport was sold to the Curtiss-Wright Corporation, an aircraft manufacturer, in 1936 and named it, what else, Curtiss-Wright Airport. Sold briefly to Flightways, Inc in 1945, it was then purchased by Milwaukee County in 1947 as the County recognized the growing importance of general aviation.
Six years later, it was home to the first meeting of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA). Then in 1959, the name Curtiss-Wright gave way to Lawrence J. Timmerman, when the County Board recognized the former Board Supervisor and Chairman who died the same year after serving Milwaukee County for 23 years.
Of the Airport’s original buildings, only the main hangar remains today. Metal T- and round-top hangars were added in the 1940s, with masonry hangars constructed in the early 1950s and 60s. The same year that the County took over the airport, the current control tower was built and operated by the Federal Aviation Administration.